The General Register Office (Oifig An Ard-Chláraitheora) maintains a genealogical/family history research facility at 3rd Floor, Block 7, Irish Life Centre, Lower Abbey Street, Dublin 1.
The Research facility is open Monday to Friday, (excluding public holidays) from 9.30 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. for the purpose of searching indexes to birth, death and marriage records and for obtaining photocopies of records identified from the indexes.
Indexes in relation to the following records of life events are available for inspection at the Research Facility:
1. Births registered in the island of Ireland between 1st January, 1864 and 31 December, 1921 inclusive, and in Ireland (excluding the six north-eastern counties of Derry, Antrim, Down, Armagh, Fermanagh and Tyrone known as Northern Ireland) from 1922 onwards.
2. Deaths registered in the island of Ireland between 1st January, 1864 and 31st December, 1921 inclusive and in Ireland (excluding Northern Ireland ) from 1922 onwards.
3. Non-Roman Catholic Marriages registered in the island of Ireland between 1st April, 1845 and 31st December, 1863 inclusive.
4. Marriages registered in the island of Ireland between 1st January, 1864 and 31st December, 1921 inclusive and in Ireland (excluding Northern Ireland ) from 1922 onwards.
5. Legal Domestic Adoptions registered in Ireland from 10th July, 1953 onwards.
SEARCHES AND FEES
Two types of searches may be undertaken at the Research Facility’s Reading Room:
- A specific search covering a maximum of 5 years for a fee of €2.00
- A general search covering any number of years for a fee of €20.00 per day
A photocopy of an entry in the records (where the search has been carried out and the entry identified) can be purchased for €4.00.
Photocopies which cannot be provided immediately on request can be posted to applicants or may be collected by them at a later date.
All search fees must be paid in advance.
Index books must be handled at all times with care and attention.
The use of pens in the reading room is prohibited; pencils are available from attending officers if required.
Food and/or beverages may not be consumed in the Research facility.
The use of mobile/cell phones in the facility is prohibited.
The General Register Office (GRO) is located at Government Offices, Convent Road, Roscommon, Co Roscommon, Ireland. It is the central repository for all records relating to life events (Births, Deaths, Marriages, Legal Domestic Adoptions, Stillbirths) in the State. In addition to the records maintained at the genealogical/family history research facility, indexes to following registers of life events are maintained solely at GRO:
1. Births at Sea of children, one of whose parents was born on the island of Ireland between 1st January, 1864 and 31st December, 1921. Births at Sea of Children, one of whose parents was born in Ireland after 1921.
2. Deaths at Sea of persons born on the island of Ireland between 1st January, 1864 and 31st December, 1921 and of persons born in Ireland after 1921.
3. Births of children of Irish parents, certified by British Consuls abroad, between 1st January, 1864 and 31st December, 1921.
4. Deaths of Irish-born persons, certified by British Consuls abroad, between 1st January, 1864 and 31st December, 1921.
5. Marriages celebrated in Dublin by the late Rev. J F G Schulze, Minister of the German Protestant Church , Poolbeg Street , Dublin , from 1806 to 1837 inclusive.
6. Births, Deaths and Marriages registered pursuant to the provisions of the (Army) Act, 1879.
7. Births and Deaths registered pursuant to the provisions of the Defence (Amendment) (No. 2) Act, 1960.
8. Certain births and deaths occurring outside the State (Pursuant to the provisions of The Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act, 1972, Sec. 4).
9. Certain Lourdes Marriages (Pursuant to the provisions of the Marriages Act, 1972, Sec.2).
10. Stillbirths registered in Ireland from 1st January 1995 (certified copies available to parents only).
11. Deaths of Irish officers and enlisted persons killed in action or who died while serving abroad in The Great War (WW1) 1914 - 1919.
12. Death returns relating to the South African War (1899 – 1902) in so far as they relate to Irish subjects.
Other General Register Office addresses:-
England and Wales (postal): P.O. Box 2 , Southport , Merseyside PR8 2HH.
Nth. Ireland : Oxford House, 49-55 Chichester Street , Belfast BT1 4HL.
Scotland : New Register House, Edinburgh EH1 3YT.
General Registrar Office,
Tel: +353 (0) 90 6632900
LoCall: 1890 252076
Fax: +353 (0) 90 6632999
Fax: +353 (0) 90 6632988